Kind of. Cycle polo was featured at as a demonstration sport in the London 1908 Summer Olympics. Ireland won. That;s about as much info as I can dig up, if anyone has any more please let me know!
I went a bit mysteriously quiet, mostly because I haven’t been down to polo in a while due to other things happening. However its still happening and getting even better with the weather warming up towards summer. Check the fixed gear forum for word on improving the polo court with walls.
Work is also ticking over on another polo tournament or two this summer. Watch this space!
Last Sunday’s polo was wonderful, despite the onslaught of cold winter there was a great turnout – see it in Robb’s photos.
Yorgo just came back from Tokyo and brought this with him…
The basic idea is that – Pista + Sumo = PISUMO:
- you create a big circle of riders holding their bikes (6-7 meters wide)
- then 2 riders at each time get into the circle
- 3 laps in one direction, then START!
- from then it’s like footdown (whoever touches the ground first loses), but with only 2 people.
- you make sumo noises
- If you exit the circle you’re out
See Robb’s photos again for an idea of what it looks like on Brick Lane or watch this…
Anyway see on Sunday and I hear there is going to be a barbecue so bring food to grill!